- Imagine having an issue that kept you isolated from family, friends, and society for 12 years
- Imagine having tried every medical, homeopathic, and experimental methods of curing your issue over the course of 12 years
- Imagine for 12 years every thought of yours somehow centered on your issue
- Imagine the depression you would be feeling after 12 years of only negative results
This is how the woman with the issue of blood may have also felt. You may be thinking, “I don’t have to imagine, I am there right now.”
During the days Jesus walked the earth, there were no newspapers, talk radio shows, television news casts, and Al Gore had yet to develop the internet; however, all of that media does not hold a candle to the greatest broadcast ever, “the rumor mill.”
“She had heard about Jesus, so she came up behind him through the crowd and touched his robe. For she thought to herself, “If I can just touch his robe, I will be healed.”” (Mark 5: 27-28)
“She had heard about Jesus”
We are not told what she had heard about a church, a religion, or a philosophy. We are told she heard about “Jesus.” We do not know for sure what she heard, but we can be sure she had heard about Jesus healing a man with a skin disease called leprosy; about Jesus healing a paralyzed man; and about Jesus healing the deformed hand of a man.
- She did not allow the source (person or personality of the person), of her information deter her thinking about Jesus.
“So she came up behind him through the crowd and touched his robe”
This was a huge decision. According to her culture and religion, she could be killed for entering a crowd of people and making them “unclean.” Up to this point she had only risked her money; now she was willing to risk face-to-face embarrassment and most importantly her life.
- Reaching Jesus was the only thing that mattered to her.
“For she thought to herself”
She had to overcome all of the negative thoughts that have engrained themselves into her daily thought pattern. She had to overcome the thoughts that none of the professionals could help, so how could a religious guy help?
- This type of thinking was not just a passing thought for a passing fad; her mental thinking became her “heart” thinking.
“If I can just touch his robe, I will be healed.”
She believed in her heart that if she could reach Jesus and touch something that was touching him, then she would be healed. She did didn’t think He would just help alleviate the pain or reduce the severity of her issue; she believed the issue would be gone.
- Doctors “practice” medicine, and many times God allows great medical healings to take place, but Jesus never practiced medicine. When he decided to heal somebody, they were healed and made whole.
- We cannot allow how people’s weirdness, fakeness, and hypocrisy taint our perception of Jesus. We must get to know Him ourselves, and the only way we can do that is by reading the Bible.
- Our faith should only be in Jesus, not a particular pastor, church, religion, denomination or anything else.
- Real faith is heart faith. We need to keep telling ourselves what Jesus can do again and again until we believe it in our hearts.
- Finally you need to do more than just hear about Jesus, more than believe in your heart, you need to do more than believe Jesus can heal. You need to believe that Jesus can heal “YOUR issue.”
The woman with the issue of blood crawled through a crowd, overcoming all of her negative thoughts, risking her life, just to touch the dusty and dirty back lower portion of Jesus’ robe. She was not distracted by her surroundings and she did not hesitate and she did not ask permission.
- Are you willing to have an attitude like this woman?
- Are you willing to come out of isolation and into community with Jesus to be healed of your issue?
- Stop dwelling in your issue and start crawling to Christ.